Goals are not only absolutely necessary to motivate us. They are essential to really keep us alive. - Robert H Schuller
Goals set the direction and momentum for our actions. If you do not know where you are going; you are likely to end up somewhere else. Setting goal means charting roadmap to success. Let me explain results of two extensive researches on impact of setting (or not setting) goals.
In a study conducted at Harvard Business School during 1979 to 1989, MBA Graduates were asked a question‘Have you set clear, written goals for your future and made plans to accomplish them?’
- 3% Graduates had written goals and plans
- 13% Graduates had unwritten goals
- 84% Graduates had no goals at all
Ten years later the researcher interviewed the respondents again and it was discovered:
- The 13% that had unwritten goals were earning in average, twice as much as the 84% of the students who had no goals
- That the 3% who had clear written goals when they left Harvard were earning 10 times as much as the other 97%of all the students
Brian Tracy, an international motivator & success coach carried out another research on 100 top successful Businessmen in the world and found out that all of them had clear written goals. You can’t be a winner in the game of life without specific, realistic and attainable goals; Aristotle called it teleological organism. Deciding your most important goals stops you from chasing butterflies and puts you to work on digging gold. Setting goals activates your reticular cortex and puts subconscious mind to work for you.
Now an obvious question might arise into your mind that, if this is so important then why most of the people do not set proper goals. Good question! Okay, here is the answer.
People do not set goals due to one of the following three reasons:
- They do not understand the importance of goal setting
- They lack the technical knowledge on goal setting area
- They are afraid of failure or rejection or may be fear of being ridiculed
Goal is a purpose toward which an endeavor is directed. It can fall in one of the below three categories:
- What you want to achieve?
- What you want to have?
- What you want to be?
I believe you are convinced that goal setting is perhaps the most important step towards realizing your dreams.
Follow the blog for learning the best secrets of setting smart goals and achieving them, too. My next article will definitely help you in learning better goal setting approach.