Monday, May 2, 2011

Attitude defines altitude!


Attitude is a little thing that makes BIG difference in life.      – Winston Churchill

It is not your ‘know-how’ skills that puts you on the path of success and keeps on track. Neither qualifications nor your execution skills, it is not goal setting or time management skills or your habits. It is your own thinking. Lord Buddha said it the best when he uttered ‘We become, what we think.’ Actually thoughts convert into things.
There are lot many different names for this trait. The best word which describes this is -Attitude. ‘If you think you can, you are right. If you think you can’t, still you are right’ – this is nothing but an expression of power of attitude.  There is an awakening in the corporate world for the importance of a positive mental attitude. Customers are lost, friction and conflicts occur, stress increases, employees report sick, performance at work gets affected, productivity goes down – all due to a negative mental attitude. Whenever you're in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging and deepening your real wealth, your relationship; that factor is your attitude. You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.

Positive attitude towards people attracts good towards you, it develops your network. Good communications skills might enable you to communicate better but it is only your connections skills (which are a function of attitude) that uplift your life. If you want to discover a leader in you, give importance to attitude development. Leadership is practiced not so much in words as in attitude and in actions. Good attitude leads to good actions which in turn lead to better results and develop your influence. Nice attitude breeds hope which is the mother of all efforts. And great efforts spring naturally from great attitude. You become a person of hope, a person of awakening dreams.
A name which crops up in mind as a perfect example of a personality who proved, ‘the only disability in life is a bad attitude’ is Helen Keller. She was physically deaf and blind still rose to heights and went to become a great author, thinker & philosopher, lecturer and political activist. When she was asked ‘Don’t you feel bad that you don’t have sight?’ Her answer was ‘It is terrible thing to see and have no vision, I am fortunate that I have a vision’. What an attitude!  I read her autobiography (The Story of my life; I suggest it to you as well) and that actually touched me. Now, Helen is one of my heroes. At times, your environment impacts your thinking.
This morning I was waiting for the train to come at Railway Station and happened to read a statement on a wall ‘Beware of pickpockets’.  These three words triggered extra caution in my mind and I was trying to find out a thief in every other passenger in the crowd.  Immediately, I forced my mind to correct my attitude as I was reminded a line of Albert Einstein ‘weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.’ I just cautioned myself and soon I was enjoying a beautiful morning with my sweet spouse. I told the momentary restlessness to my wife and she said ‘those who wish to sing; always find a song’. I suggest you the same. Guard your thoughts as thoughts become attitude which defines altitude of life.  

1 comment:

  1. How can you dedicate your time for writing best articles. I gone thru all of your articles and all are wonderful..
    dealstoall

    ReplyDelete